The “Bingo Breakdown”

Bingo Break Down Infographic

Many tourists associate England as synonymous with rain, fish ‘n’ chips and the Royal family, but the prevalence of bingo culture should also be high-ranked on the list. This quintessential pastime is one of the country’s famed leisure activities, and evident in the 699 licensed and operating bingo clubs around Great Britain. Every day, an approximate 500 bingo clubs link together to play the National Game, with one exception made on Christmas! More than three million people play bingo regularly in the UK. Are you one of them? Read on to see if you join these stats as one of the millions of people who are bonkers for bingo!

Top 20 Bingo Facts

1. The number one reason for playing bingo is enjoyment – winning money came in fifth. “Memory improvement,” “socializing” and “inexpensive” were the other three, according to 2011 online bingo poll.

2. In 2012, there were 2.5 million regular female bingo players.

3. 96% of bingo players have won at some point while playing bingo.

4. A 2011 bingo assessment survey showed women – over men – find more happiness playing bingo. 15% of these women said they engaged in the game for its networking and companionship properties.

5. It is surmised that present-day bingo originated from an Italian Lottery called Lo Giuoco del Lotto d’Italia in the year 1530.

6. The average time to check a winning claim is 30 seconds.

7. In 1929, a game called “Beano” was played in a carnival near Atlanta, Georgia to ease mental anxieties brought forth by the Great Depression. Dried beans, a rubber stamp and a cardboard sheet were the only employed materials. Edwin Lowe, a NYC-based toy salesman, observed how players shouted the word, “BEANO!!” after each winning. Lowe introduced the game to his friends back in New York, where an excited woman inadvertently yelled “BINGO!!” in the heat of her win. This is how the game bingo got its name-o.

8. Bingo officially debuted in 1930. By 1934, there were an estimated 10,000 bingo games a week played in churches and recreational centers throughout America.

9. The largest bingo game in history was played in New Jersey’s Teaneck Armory with 60,000 players – 10,000 were turned away at the door due to overcapacity.

10. It is estimated that the wagering in charitable bingo -which is played in 49 of the 50 United States – is more than $3 billion per year.

11. An average British game of bingo takes between four to four and a half minutes.

12. The average speed of a British bingo caller is 23 numbers per minute.

13. In 1930, University of Columbia mathematics professor Carl Leffleris reportedly went insane after coming up with 6,000 bingo cards that had non-repeating number groups.

14. Strangely enough, 83% of online bingo players engage in “other activities” while playing online bingo. Now get your minds out of the gutter, as “TV” and “Solitaire” serves as the other distractions.

15.  In 2010, more people attended bingo than football matches in both UK leagues.

16. Of the online bingo players 20% have been playing for less than 2 years, 20% have been playing for less than 5 years and 40% have been playing for more than 5 years.

17. The total prize money won since the UK’s National Bingo Game –which started in 1986 – presently stands at a whopping £725,179,338; equating to £26,858,494 or $43,348,000 annually.

18. There are about 100 million Bingo players worldwide. 85% of Bingo players are women in the 30 – 50 age bracket. The other 15% are men in the equivalent age range.

19. 90% of bingo players are below the age of 50, dispelling the myth that bingo is for the older generation.

20. It is believed that about 50,000 of the approximately 3 million land-based bingo players have moved to playing bingo online. Of these online bingo players, 69.2% choose to play 75 ball bingo, while 30.8% prefer 90 ball bingo with the majority of online players opting for no deposit bingo sites to start with.

Bingo is an enjoyable pastime that has been preserved since its estimated introduction, over 400 years ago. In an increasingly-technological world, online bingo has formed its own virtual niche: 85% of bingo players have converted to online bingo, with more than 50% of these players dedicating three or more hours a DAY on this internet-based option.  For those bonkers for online bingo, browse our site for free bingo money offers. The site features one of the largest online compilations of no-deposit, online bingo offers. This free and fun service is sure to chip in to the overall experience when playing one of the world’s most timeless games. Below you will see an infographic visualizing this information. Feel free to share it around.


VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (6 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: +5 (from 5 votes)
The “Bingo Breakdown”, 10.0 out of 10 based on 6 ratings